Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: My M19's are trying to kill me!

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    My M19's are trying to kill me!

    Need a little help from the forums members. Scenario, I turned my M19's into a secondary system and placed them in the basement, the room is mostly open with concrete floors, and a 4' foot cinder block wall on half on one side of the space, the other side has the same but its covered in either drywall or nasty paneling 22'X40'..... this is a temporary set up, but it is so forward and loud it seems dangerous... I have lost all of the cohesion of this system that was placed in another room... Same amps, same everything..... the sound is way to intense even at moderate volumes. I have tried Mono single,double, stereo...... What is strange, is I tried a single cornwall in my garage which is concrete all 5.5 sides are concrete, including the roof.. it sounded listenable, that space is 24'X20'... what am I missing here? I have never heard a transformation quite like this..... I must say though, violins are as dry as the desert and you can hear almost every note...

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: My M19's are trying to kill me!

    Does your basement have a ceiling?

    My WAG is standing waves and reflections abound.

    It will take some room treatment, but i'll bet you can make the room sound pretty good with some work.

    I'd start with corner traps in the corners most immediately behind the 19's, and damp the heck out of all the first reflection areas including the ceiling if it's been hung with drywall.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My M19's are trying to kill me!

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Does your basement have a ceiling?

    My WAG is standing waves and reflections abound.

    It will take some room treatment, but i'll bet you can make the room sound pretty good with some work.

    I'd start with corner traps in the corners most immediately behind the 19's, and damp the heck out of all the first reflection areas including the ceiling if it's been hung with drywall.
    Thanks Bowtie! it has an open frame ceiling with exposed floor joists at this point, with plywood as the base for the upper floor, the reflections are insane. I am very fickle about imaging and hearing a recording good or bad.. this is like a blare machine.... I will try throwing in some treatments in for the interim... Thanks for the help!!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My M19's are trying to kill me!

    I live just down the road from a large furniture outlet and they always have old bed mattresses and couches sitting outside that they remove after delivering new stuff to costumers, I always thought that I could line my basement with mattresses and cushions. Remember Conan's late show and the cushions on the wall during his monolog?

    Anyway, my upstairs stereo room is 14' x 36', but I have another duplicate stereo (EV Sentry IV's instead of Altec's) in the basement directly under it which is 14' x 24'. When the upstairs one is running, at say 100db, it isn't so bad listening from the basement, but when it is the other way around, it sounds like someone is beating on the heat ducts and registers with drum sticks. It was even working the nails up that where holding the plywood down in the upstairs floor (pre glued & screwed era) until I screwed it down with a million heavy screws. I have no idea how to fix the heating ducts.
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; March 4th, 2016 at 01:17 AM.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My M19's are trying to kill me!

    Another easy thing to try would be to move them to a different location in the room.
    Alternatively, try the short wall and then try the long wall locations and note the difference. If it still sounds harsh or unbalanced, move them back to the prior room that sounded good to see if you have damged or dislodged something during the move.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My M19's are trying to kill me!

    Thanks for the help guys!!! I will work with your suggestions!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: My M19's are trying to kill me!

    I have 19 clones in a very live room. Sheet rock walls, bare wood floors, lots of glass. None the less, they are working nicely. When you moved yours did you, perhaps reverse the horns' wiring? That would do it. Also, I needed to pad the horns way down to make it work. When I had a passive xo, I was almost to nothing on the treble control. In my active system I am 9db down on the horns relative to the woofers.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member juniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2011
    Posts
    368
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My M19's are trying to kill me!

    Thanks Les for the suggestion, I will tear them apart soon, most likely this weekend! Bowtie was on too something, the first reflections, needed lots of help..... sounding better already with some dampening, if something is amiss inside of the cabs, I will be very confused.... as I usually trust my ears and they haven't let me to often. Thanks again!!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: My M19's are trying to kill me!

    'Live' rooms are obviously 'awash' with eigenmodes, spurious reflections, so speaker, listening position [LP] is especially critical, so both must be in one the room's odd harmonics and ideally in all three planes, though the height one is often overlooked and one reason why I prefer tower speakers since at least the mids/highs can be put at one and with a low XO point the woofer can be in another one.

    Also, space them off a wall at an angle > ~12 deg and not equi-distant from side walls, though still preferably at an odd harmonic. Looks strange, but does a good job of averaging out eigenmodes and the angles promote rapid decay.

    Combined with horns, room damping can be reduced considerably.

    Some more info in these Harmon 'white papers': INNOVATION | Harman

    GM
    Last edited by GM; March 5th, 2016 at 12:49 AM.
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  10. #10
    Junior Hostboard Member ALTEC-REP's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2015
    Location
    Edina/Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My M19's are trying to kill me!

    Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    mostly open with concrete floors, and a 4' foot cinder block wall on half on one side of the space, the other side has the same but its covered in either drywall or nasty paneling 22'X40'..... this is a temporary set up, but it is so forward and loud it seems dangerous...
    Shipping blankets! LOTS of shipping blankets! [Note to board members - I've been to Juniper's place so I know the space...]

    Seriously - Audio Tool for $7.99 on a cheap tablet will show you the Reverb Time (Rt60) in 1/3-octave bands. Once you understand the enemy he becomes much easier to control & kill! After damping the reflections you can try relocating the speakers - corners on the 22' wall would be my first choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.